Pros And Cons Essay Esl
Most IELTS or TOEFL essays are either opinion or pros and cons. These are PROS AND CONS essay ideas.
A lot of ESL students have the goal of IELTS or TOEFL, and one of the hardest parts of the writing exam is coming up with ideas to write about. So what I wanted to do here is to give a few essay topics and instead of giving you the whole essay (because that is up to you), I wanted to give you some ideas for each topic.
At the bottom of each group of ideas I have also included an ACRONYM. An ACRONYM is a short group of letters that you can remember to help you recall the ideas when you are sitting in your exam. (Some people find acronyms helpful to remember information quickly, if it doesn’t work for you, don’t worry about it)
- SPORT: Many people want their country to hold the Olympics. Others believe that international sporting events bring more problems than benefits. Discuss both views and state your opinion.
3 PRO ideas for the Olympics in your country:
- Brings tourists so brings more money
- Gives a good advertisement to the world about my country
- Building new stadiums and hotels etc, creates jobs
3 CON ideas for the Olympics in your country:
- Hidden problems can occur like increased crime
- Too expensive to create
- What does the country do with all the new stadiums once the Olympics are finished?
ACRONYM: taj + cef
2. LEISURE TIME ACTIVITIES: In the future, we will have more and more leisure time as machines replace many of the tasks we do at home and work. Discuss the benefits this will bring and also the problem it will cause.
- PRO ideas for increased leisure time activities:
- There will be a more balanced life between work and play
- We will become more social as we will be connecting with more people on a human level
- We will become fitter and healthier as we won’t be stuck behind a desk
- CON ideas for increased leisure time activities:
- People may lose jobs because of the machines and so lose self esteem
- Less intellectual stimulation so we may become lazy
- A lot of people will choose unhealthy leisure time activities like watching tv
ACRONYM: bsh+ liu
3. EMPLOYMENT: Unemployment is one of the most serious problems facing developed nations today. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of reducing the working week to thirty five hours?
- PRO ideas for reducing working week to 35 hours:
- Employers can save money
- Staff are less stressed because they have less work time
- Staff can use the other extra hours for healthy leisure time activities
- CON ideasfor reducing working week to 35 hours:
- Wages will go down
- Economy will decrease as there is less money being earned therefore, less money being spent
- Companies will produce less
ACRONYM: sle+ wep
4. GLOBALISATION: Differences between countries become less evident each year. Nowadays, all over the world people share the same fashions, advertising, brands, eating habits and TV channels. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- PRO ideas for countries sharing the same fashion etc:
- We all become equal
- We all can understand each other
- The world has one universal standard of quality for all
- CON ideasfor reducing working week to 35 hours:
- We lose our culture and traditions
- We are no longer individuals
- Fashion and advertising will not always suit different religious and cultural ideals, therefore create problems
ACRONYM: euq+ cir
5. HOUSING: Some people like living in a house, while others prefer an apartment.Are there more advantages than disadvantages to living in a house rather than in an apartment?
- PRO ideas for living in a house rather than an apartment:
- Houses have gardens
- Houses are better for families because there is more space
- Apartments can be claustrophobic(scared of being closed indoors)
- CON ideas for living in a house rather than an apartment:
- Apartments are more secure than houses as there is usually security officers outside at the gate
- Apartments are cheaper to rent and buy than a house
- Houses require a lot more maintenance as they are free-standing
ACRONYM: gfc+ scm
If you find this useful, let me know and I will create some more. If it is very confusing let me know too!
All the best!
More useful IELTS Task Links on my pages:
These days, it seems like everything is going digital. From news articles and recipes to yoga tutorials, you can find almost everything on the internet.
Many people find this way of life more convenient, because they can complete their daily chores from the comfort of their own home. I think that’s why some people like to shop for their clothes online. With the click of a button, you can order anything you want, and have it delivered directly to your front door. For someone with a busy lifestyle, this seems ideal.
Firstly, online shopping can be far less stressful than hitting the high street shops. There are no huge crowds of people or tediously long queues. With online shopping, it’s just you and your computer. It’s like you have the whole shop to yourself! Secondly, online stores don’t have opening and closing times. This is perfect for anyone with a busy schedule – like office workers who work long hours, or teenagers with several hobbies to squeeze into the weekend. If you want to, you can even place an online shopping order at three o’clock in the morning!
In the bustling modern world, there are clearly many advantages to online shopping. However, in my experience, there are also several cons … With online shopping, you can’t try before you buy, and that’s a definite disadvantage for me. Often, when my new clothes arrive, I find they don’t fit very well. It’s always annoying when a dress is a little too big, or when sleeves are awkwardly short … Sometimes, the clothes are not what I was expecting. A piece of clothing might look great in photos online, but quite different in real life. A blue jumper might turn out to be green, whilst other times the material of a blouse will feel cheap and scratchy.
In these scenarios, you want to return the item, but here lies the biggest problem with online shopping. You have to pay for your order’s delivery, and for an item to be returned to the warehouse! These charges are often very expensive, which suddenly makes online shopping seem a little less convenient…That’s why I don’t choose to shop online very frequently. For now, I will continue to find the time for a trip to a real shop, where I know exactly what I’m buying!